Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

Is the German term 'Mench' used in English too? (I mean the game similar to 'Ludo'.)

Thanks!

Not a teacher

The German word is Mensch (= (a) human in English) and the board game is called "Mensch ärgere dich nicht", which you could translate with "Man, don't get irritated". In other countries this board game is also known as "Ludo", which I understand is Latin and means "I play", and sometimes it is sold under the name "Pachisi".

TomUK

Not a teacher

The German word is Mensch (= (a) human in English) and the board game is called "Mensch ärgere dich nicht", which you could translate with "Man, don't get irritated". In other countries this board game is also known as "Ludo", which I understand is Latin and means "I play", and sometimes it is sold under the name "Pachisi".

TomUK

And Parchís in Spain.

And I have no idea what game you are talking about at all!

It may be Parcheesee here. As for the word "mench" it is used in English, coming from Yiddish, and means a very decent, honorable man.

You learn something new every day. I've never seen this before.

Last edited:
I'd never seen it, either.

Yes, Parcheeshi.

It may be Parcheesee here. As for the word "mench" it is used in English, coming from Yiddish, and means a very decent, honorable man.

The Yiddish word is actually spelt 'mentsh' according to the Yiddish Dictionary Online. The pronounciation is very close if not similar to the German 'Mensch', which is not surprising as quite a few Yiddish words derive from German.

TomUK

Yiddish is not written in the Roman alphabet, but the Hebrew. Here, it is frequently Romanized as Mench.

Yiddish is not written in the Roman alphabet, but the Hebrew. Here, it is frequently Romanized as Mench.

I can't agree with that. None of my in-laws can write in Hebrew (immediately flushed from the brain following the Bar/Bat Mitzvahs), but they make frequent use of Yiddish words in their speech and writing.

I'd spell it as mensch, but of course there often many ways to spell the same word. Hanukkah alone probably has a half-dozen spellings.

You don't agree that Yiddish is written in the Hebrew alphabet, or that where I live people Romanize it as Mench?

I think most Yiddish is written in Roman lettering. Many, many Jews use these words frequently in speech and writing. Heck, non-Jews, too, though they tend to use the ruder ones. I refer to modern, Westen use of Yiddish, and not what was used in the 1800s.

My spelling is just a side comment.

Last edited:
And English, which is a sponge language ;-), has adopted a number of Yiddish words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back