Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
- This is a very complex computer program. You might need to ............... the instructions again before you get the hang of it.

In this sentence I have to put the correct verb, but I do not have any suggestions...I was thinking about "look over", which means "to examine", but a friend of mine, has written "go over"...which means "to examine" too...what do you think about it? Do you think they both can go?
I checked them in the dictionary and it says they both could mean "to examine".

Thank you very much.

Do they have to be phrasal verbs? I was thinking just "read" or "read through" maybe "review."

Either "go over" or "look over" would work.

They should be phrasal verbs...but the question is this: do they both mean "examine"? does a native speaker use them in every context when he/she wants to mean "examine"? Can they always replace "examine" in every context?

"Look over" seems more cursory to me than "go over" but it would be a bad test question if one were marked right and one were marked wrong.

"Look over" feels more like a quick review, while "go over" feels more intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back