Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello,
is there any significant semantic difference between verbs such as look for, search for and seek?
Are there any examples showing that each of them might be more suitable in a certain context rather than the other.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums. Please provide some example sentences showing how you want to use them.

Thank you!
Well i was wondering if in general they mean slighlty different things.

For example if i say:

"I am looking for a job" or "I am seeking (searching for) a job"

Do they mean exactly the same thing? Also maybe one of them is more proper or more to be used in a more formal/informal
context. Or are they just simple synonims?

Thanks

Thank you!
Well, ​I was wondering if, in general, they mean [STRIKE]slighlty[/STRIKE] slightly different things.

For example, [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] should I say "I am looking for a job" or "I am seeking (searching for) a job"?

Do they mean exactly the same thing? Also, maybe one of them is more [STRIKE]proper or more to be used in a[/STRIKE] more formal/informal. [STRIKE]context.[/STRIKE] Or are they just simple synonyms?

Thanks.

I am looking for a job.
I am searching for a job.
I am seeking a job.

They all mean the same. The first is the most common and natural. The second is OK. The third isn't heard commonly in BrE, even though someone who is looking for a job is called a "job-seeker".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back