Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What are you more likely to say: a live lobster or a living lobster?
"We should respect all the live creatures." or "We should respect all the living creatures."?

I guess, the word "creatures" implies "the living"

We should respect all the living or,
We should respect the living

Did you mean that "living" implies "creatures"? I guess so because you omit "creatures", not "living" and one can omit what is implied, not what implies (I can be wrong - I have just finished my mathematical logic course and my brain is a mess now :)). I can agree with that, but I don't think we are supposed to speak always in the shortest, non-pleonasmic way. By the way it's a bit off-topic :)

Maybe it depends on the one who speaks, but I don't regard a stone as a creature, but I do for a tree, a cat,etc. So,to me, it doesn't make a difference to call the creatures as the living.

What are you more likely to say: a live lobster or a living lobster?
"We should respect all the live creatures." or "We should respect all the living creatures."?

live lobster, "We should respect all living creatures."

live lobster, "We should respect all living creatures."
Ok, thank you very much. Would you, please, explain what the difference is? I mean, I chose these the examples so that I get an impression through them and I did. But I still couldn't verbalize the difference and am still not sure if I know it already.

I'm not sure I could verbalize a difference, either. It's a matter of usage, rather than strict definition.

This is perhaps an example of why it is generally more fruitful to spend your time reading (in the language that you're learning) rather than in trying to memorize rules. Reading will help you attune your ear to the conventional usages of the language.

No, a creature may be dead, and thus not living.
Dying doesn't change whether an entity was initially created.

No, a creature may be dead, and thus not living.
Dying doesn't change whether an entity was initially created.

Agree. There were already no implication that those who live will live forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back