Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,
I'm learning English and I'm wondering whether I should say:
'You live your life like there is no end to it.'
or
'You are living your life like there is no end to it.'

Another question is if I could say 'give me some ease' as 'cut me some slack' or even 'don't bother me'?

Btw it's for the song, so it don't have to be completely correct and obvious. I'm just afraid that it's totally wrong.

You live your life and You are living your life are both correct. The first is a more general statement and the second is more specific to the current period.

Don't say give me some ease. Find a different phrase.

. . . Another question is whether I could say 'give me some ease' No. It makes no sense.

as 'cut me some slack' Yes, That's fine.

or even 'don't bother me'? That's fine, too, but has a different meaning.

By the way, it's for a song, so it doesn't have to be completely correct and obvious. I'm just afraid that it's totally wrong.
Welcome, Enspirian!

We like it if you make a separate post for each question.

And we don't like text-speak, like Btw.

So now you know. Thanks!

'You live your life like there is no end to it.'
or
'You are living your life like there is no end to it.'

The first is also more likely to refer to an impersonal 'you' - "one live's one's life ..."; "people live their lives...."
The second is more likely to be addressed to a specific person.

Thanks for help!
So 'give me some ease' is completely unusable? I found some examples of use in the Bible. Couldn't it be used, even in archaic or grotesque context? The song is like a conversation with the guardian angel and mocking the Bible would fit.

Thanks for the help!
So 'give me some ease' is completely unusable? I found some examples of use in the Bible. Couldn't it be used, even in archaic or grotesque context? The song is like a conversation with the guardian angel and mocking the Bible would fit.
That phrase does not sound like biblical English. I wouldn't use it anyway; it doesn't sound natural.

So 'give me some ease' is completely unusable?

The phrase is maybe unfamiliar enough that some people might think you're possibly saying "Give me some 'E's", as in Ecstasy pills.

Last edited:
Sorry for being stubborn but I've found an example of use on vocabulary.com:
“getting it off his conscience gave him some ease
and that from the Bible which I had mentioned:
"Lord, give me some ease before I die"

Sorry for being stubborn but I've found an example of use on vocabulary.com:
“getting it off his conscience gave him some ease
and that from the Bible which I had mentioned:
"Lord, give me some ease before I die"
That quote seems to come from John Wesley's 1765 notes on the Bible. It's not in the Bible itself. If it were, it might be more natural in modern English; many otherwise-archaic phrases still work today because of that origin.

Song lyrics don't have to use familiar language, so if you're really set on using give me some ease, go ahead. Just be aware that native Anglophones may find the line more than a little odd.

Thank you all! I'm probably going to just change it.

You could consider using other phrases like:

Give me some peace.
Give me a break.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back