[Grammar] little less least or little less LAST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elenah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello dear teachers
I was wondering if you could help me with this total confusion of mine.
what is comparative and superlative of little?
little less the least
or is it
little less last

if i'm correct in this two sentences less and least are comparative and superlative of adjective little?
there were less problems than I expected You have more important problems to worry about, this is the least of your problems

but what about last? it is the last thing on my mind

Could you, please, pretty please, explain to me what is LAST in the sentence above? is it not a comparative form of something?

And I have the same confusion with superlative and comparative form of adverb little - for example:

I like my uncle Tim less then my uncle Peter, but I like uncle Tom the least

or he arrived the latest (late, later. latest)
but
he arrived last - what is in the God's name is "LAST" ?

Is 'LAST' can be comparative of adverb or adjective? Or did I totally confused it with something else?

Thank you in advance

Please note all the errors you made which I've marked in red. In your haste to post your question, you seemed to have neglected grammar and punctuation.

Hello dear teachers
I was wondering if you could help me with this total confusion of mine.
what is comparative and superlative of little?
little less the least
or is it
little less last
It's 'little, less, the least'.

If I'm correct in [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] these two sentences, less and least are comparative and superlative of the adjective little?
There were less problems than I expected. You have more important problems to worry about, this is the least of your problems.

But what about last? It is the last thing on my mind.

Could you, please, pretty please, explain to me what is LAST in the sentence above? Is it not a comparative form of something?

No, in this sentence 'last' is an adjective referring to the order of things (first, second, last).

And I have the same confusion with superlative and comparative forms of the adverb little - for example:

I like my Uncle Tim less then my Uncle Peter, but I like Uncle Tom the least.

or He arrived the latest. (late, later, latest)
but
He arrived last - what is in the God's name is "LAST" ?

Is 'LAST' [STRIKE]can be[/STRIKE] the comparative of adverb or adjective? Or did I totally confused it with something else?

Thank you in advance.

Your confusion come from the fact that that little can be an adjective or an adverb, and the forms are different.

As an adverb, the forms are little, less, and least.

As an adjective, there are two meanings of 'little', with the comparative and superlative forms differing by meaning.

If little means 'small in size', then the forms are little, littler, and the littlest.
If little means 'a small amount', then the forms are little, less, and the least.

regula and irregular adjectives

Hello again
could you , please, help me with this? I've just come across two adjectives

regular
little littler littlest

and irregular
little less least

Is that correct? Is there such a thing as irregular adjective little less least ? And if so when do we use irregular adjective
little less least

could you give me some examples, please?
thank you

Re: regula and irregular adjectives

As was clearly explained at the end of Skrej's detailed post, there are two meanings of "little" and they take different comparative and superlative forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back