Listening an English-speaking radio station when sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcBurak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I wouldn't like to give a percentage but I think it improves your listening, yes. My advice is to be surrounded by the English language wherever possible though. Don't just concentrate on TV shows or films. I also recommend finding an English-speaking radio station and having it playing in the background whenever possible. Don't try to concentrate on it or listen to it - just get used to being surrounded by English. You will gradually start to understand more and more and it will help you to get used to the rhythm and cadence of the language.

Based on this advice I want to ask another question.

Do you think it's gonna be useful if someone listens an English-speaking radio station when he/she is sleeping? (Of course, I agree with listening an English-speaking radio station when we are awake. I just wonder if this will support the subconcious acquiring or won't.)

Hope I'm not asking too much questions.

Thanks for your patience.

I think leaving an English-speaking radio station on while you go to sleep is a great idea. There's evidence to show that we soak up information quite well just before and during sleep.

Note that we say "to listen to ". Listening to an English-speaking radio station is a good idea. If someone listens to that radio station it could help.

Hope I'm not asking too [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] many questions.

Don't worry; you're not.

Please don't use non-standard words like 'gonna' on this forum.

Thanks a lot for the advices and warnings.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no need to write a new post to say Thank you or to quote our replies back to us. Your clicks on the Thank button on any posts you find helpful are sufficient. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question. It saves everybody's time.

Note that 'advice' is uncountable.

I'd read Brave New World first. When I was studying at the University of London Institute of Education, they has a grand total of two books on this idea, and both from a long time ago. It may be possible, and is unlikely to do much harm, but no one has managed to prove beyond doubt that this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back