Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Lisa touched the key card to the room's card reader, opened the door and entered her room on the 27th floor of the hotel. After taking a few stops, she froze, letting out a faint moan. A man in a dark suit was standing by the room's window, looking out. Dark, furious clouds were rolling in from ocean to envelop Miami in a gray cloak. Lisa's heart beat faster as she stared at the stranger. The overhead recessed lights highlighted his outline. He turned around and let out a low laugh. He had patchy beard and his black hair was parted to the right. "Hello Lisa. I see that you are surprised. I'm here for the money." There was menace in his voice and Lisa's stomach churned with anxiety.

Is this correct and natural?

Lisa touched the key card to the room's card reader, opened the door and entered her room on the 27th floor of the hotel. After taking a few steps, she froze, letting out a faint moan. A man in a dark suit was standing by the [STRIKE]room's[/STRIKE] window, looking out. Dark, furious clouds were rolling in from the ocean to envelop Miami in a grey cloak. Lisa's heart beat faster as she stared at the stranger. The [STRIKE]overhead[/STRIKE] recessed lights overhead highlighted his outline. He turned around and let out a low laugh. He had a patchy beard and his black hair was parted to the right. "Hello, Lisa. I see that you are surprised to see me. I'm here for the money." There was menace in his voice and Lisa's stomach churned with anxiety.

emsr2d2

A key card doesn't really touch the card reader does it? What is the action called, to have the card read?

That's exactly what it does. There's a flat panel on the door and you just touch or tap it with the card and the door opens. It works the same way as contactless card payments in shops.

You could delete room's without losing much for me- it's a hotel and we learn it's a room on the 27th floor. It's labouring the point for me.

In that situation I would expect more than a "faint moan" from Lisa. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back