Lisa has been cleaning the house for two hours. Now it is tidy and looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. Lisa has been cleaning the house for two hours. Now it is tidy and looks nice.
It means “cleaning” lasted for two hours and was finished not long before now, and it has a result in the present.

This is not a good question. First of all, your example is very poor because the two sentences don't cohere. I'd urge you not to make up your own sentences and then ask us to tell you what you mean.

You're obviously trying to understand the basics of aspect. I think you're going about it in the wrong way.

This is not a good question. First of all, your example is very poor because the two sentences don't cohere. I'd urge you not to make up your own sentences and then ask us to tell you what you mean.
You're obviously trying to understand the basics of aspect. I think you're going about it in the wrong way.
Is the following sentence correct?
1. Lisa has cleaned the house. Now it is tidy and looks nice.
It means “cleaning” was finished before now, and it has a result in the present.

Is the following sentence correct?
1. Lisa has cleaned the house. Now it is tidy and looks nice.
It means “cleaning” was finished before now, and it has a result in the present.
The sentence and your understanding of it are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back