Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How should I spell this word?

I've always used liquify because it made sense. Liquid → liquify.

Today, I was corrected by Grammarly, and I discovered that liquefy is also acceptable. I don't know if I should switch to liquefy or keep using liquify.

Is there any differences (e.g. AmE vs BrE) between which is preferred?

Like you, I use liquify for the same reason.

Again – you can use either.

Move on.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with liquify.

You could use "melt" to avoid using the word. There are "liquefaction" (not spelt with "qui") and "liquidate". Spelling doesn't always follow logic.

Last edited:
The verb is often used for the change of state from gas to liquid. It means 'become liquid', not 'change from solid to liquid'.

I thought the natural process of change from the gaseous state of a material to a liquid state is called condensation.

P.S. Gases like oxygen, nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen and helium are liquified by cooling at extreme temperatures for storage purposes but I wouldn't call that a "usual"process.

Last edited:
There are certain situations, ted, in which the choice between liquify and melt is not important . There are other situations in which the choice between liquify and condense are not important. However, unless we have a particular situation in mind, I don't think it is helpful to say that melt and liquify are synonyms. Even when they are, they are not necessarily interchangeable.

Topic drift.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back