Liquids with different purity―pure water, tap water, and tap water with three grams o

Status
Not open for further replies.

middleage S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Liquids with different purity―pure water, tap water, and tap water with three grams o

Liquids with different purity―pure water, tap water, and tap water with three grams of iron powder added―were cooled and impacted to check how the occurrence of supercooling varies with the purity of a liquid.

I wrote the above sentence by myself. Are there any grammatical errors?

Re: Liquids with different purity―pure water, tap water, and tap water with three gra

I'd use frozen rather than cooled. Cooled does not imply to me that they were solid, which they would have to be to impact them. (Not a scientist)

Re: Liquids with different purity―pure water, tap water, and tap water with three gra

Can't I apply an impact on the liquid? The experiment is to impact the supercooled liquid to see if the liquid turns solid.

cooled is the appropriate word, not frozen.

Be careful of prepositions:

liquids with different purity :cross:
liquids of different purity :tick:

purity of a liquid :tick:

Apart from that, it's good.

I'd use frozen rather than cooled. Cooled does not imply to me that they were solid, which they would have to be to impact them. (Not a scientist)
"Frozen" would be the wrong word here. The point of the study is to observe whether supercooled liquids — liquids chilled below their freezing point but remaining liquid — solidify when their containers are struck.

What do you mean by 'pure water? 'purified water', 'distilled water', 'rainwater, 'spring water' or what?

"Frozen" would be the wrong word here. The point of the study is to observe whether supercooled liquids — liquids chilled below their freezing point but remaining liquid — solidify when their containers are struck.

See this thread (also by the OP) for reference, with handy linked video in post #4.

With the the word "cooled", I think the word "impacted" is redundant. You subject the liquids to the cooling process to study the effect.

With the the word "cooled", I think the word "impacted" is redundant. You subject the liquids to the cooling process to study the effect.
No. Having supercooled the liquid, you have to do something to make it change phase and solidify. You can do this by introducing something to the liquid or by striking the vessel it's contained in.

No. Having supercooled the liquid, you have to do something to make it change phase and solidify. You can do this by introducing something to the liquid or by striking the vessel it's contained in.

Do you call "made a liquid change phase and solidify" impacted"?

Do you call "made a liquid change phase and solidify" impacted"?
It's not really the right word. OP means the vessel was struck.

It's not really the right word. OP means the vessel was struck.

I supposed there are other means to trigger the crystallization and solidification of the liquid besides physically disturbing it by striking/shaking the vessel.

I supposed there are other means to trigger the crystallization and solidification of the liquid besides physically disturbing it by striking/shaking the vessel.
Yes. As I said above, you can introduce another substance into it. I imagine there are other ways, too — directing ultrasonic waves into it, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back