[Grammar] lied vs laid

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,366
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I'm in the process of working on an obituary for my father. I do have one sentence in particular that is in question about correct grammatical usage. It is written as such, " Above all, John's greatest love lied/laid in his family and home......................."
Which is correct-laid or lied OR something else altogether?

I'm in the process of working on an obituary for my father. I do have one sentence in particular that is in question about correct grammatical usage. It is written as such, " Above all, John's greatest love lied/laid in his family and home......................."
Which is correct-laid or lied OR something else altogether?
***NOT A TEACHER***(1) You cannot use "lied," for that is the past of "lie" (not tell the truth), (2) You cannot use "laid," for that is the past of "lay" (to put something), (3) So you must use the past tense of "'lie" (to reside) which is "lay." That is, John's greatest love resided in his family. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back