Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Luxembourg
Hello everybody. I often write e-mails (formal and informal) in English. Often I am not sure if what I write is correct or not.
I insert here an e-mail, which I recently sent to a colleague. It is not that specific e-mail, but it is very similar. Could you please correct the text and/or give me some tips?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Carlos,

How are you? I hope you are enjoying New York. It is probably as cold as Luxembourg.
I am writing to enquire about your idea to make a meeting next week. Since I did not submit anything this year to the ING conference, I would come only to join the meeting.

Since my supervisor will be there, do you suggest that I come as well?
If so, I will register to the conference as soon as possible. If not, I can prepare few slides, to show what we would like to do in New York.

Further, I am still available for a Skype interview with the other people in San Francisco. After the email in which I introduced myself, I did not have any answer. Of course, if they are interested, I am still available. I am going to send an email to everybody about this.

Your sincerely,

Dear Carlos,

How are you? I hope you are enjoying New York. It is probably as cold as Luxembourg.
I am writing to [STRIKE]enquire about your idea to make a[/STRIKE] ask you what you think about going to the meeting next week. Since I did not submit anything this year to the ING conference, I would come to the meeting only as an observer.[STRIKE]to join the meeting. [/STRIKE]

Since my supervisor will be there, do you suggest that I come as well?
If so, I will register [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] for the conference as soon as possible. If not, I can prepare a few slides to show what we would like to do in New York.

Further, I am still available for a Skype interview with the other people in San Francisco. After the email in which I introduced myself, I did not have any answer. Of course, if they are interested, I am still available. I am going to send an email to everybody about this.

Your sincerely,

Use either "conference" or "meeting" to refer to the event. Otherwise, you may confuse the reader.
Also, I could not understand the text highlighted in red. :)

Use either "conference" or "meeting" to refer to the event. Otherwise, you may confuse the reader.
Also, I could not understand the text highlighted in red. :)

Thank you!
1) The part in red refers to a previous mail, for which I am still waiting for an answer. The meaning is "if they answer me, I will be more than happy to contact them again".
2) Concerning your corrections, I think I do not completely understand. I will formulate here my questions:
- I am writing to ask you what you think about going to the meeting next week.
The meaning is not exactly the same. I would like to know if the meeting will take place or not. If so, what he thinks about going or not going to the meeting.
- I used "enquire" as "to ask in a polite way". Is it grammatically wrong in this sentence? Is it not easy to understand?
I applied this logic: I am writing to enquire about (something). something=your idea to organize a meeting.
Is it a wrong way to use enquire?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back