Letter closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

monro

Member Type
Other
Dear friends,

I received an e-mail letter by a superior colleague, which was closed with "Always yours" ...and name.
I am not sure, but my understanding is that this ending is not suitable for a letter to a colleague. Or maybe he wants to tell me something by it?

Please, help me understand,

Dear friends,

I received an e-mail letter by a superior colleague, which was closed with "Always yours" ...and name.
I am not sure, but my understanding is that this ending is not suitable for a letter to a colleague. Or maybe he wants to tell me something by it?

Always yours = Ever yours or Yours ever = at all time, always - a complimentary close at the end of a letter above the signature.
Still have doubts? Then have a look at here. Don't think twice is all right.
(Not a teacher):)

Thank you, Albertino for your answer.
What I really want to know is in what cases would one end his letter with "Always yours".:?:

Thank you, Albertino for your answer.
What I really want to know is in what cases would one end his letter with "Always yours".:?:

Formal
(letters addressed to diplomats and religious personalities)
Respectfully yours/Respectfully.

Semi-formal
(letters addressed to Government organs, companies and schools/colleges)
Very truly yours/Yours truly/Yours very truly;
Very cordially yours/Cordially yours/Yours cordially;
Very sincerely yours/Most sincerely yours/Yours faithfully/Faithfully yours.

Informal
(letters addressed to relatives and friends)
Sincerely, Sincerely yours;(respectable seniors)
Love/All my love/Your loving/Yours ever; (very close relationship)
Best wishes/All the best
Yours affectionately/affectionately(Family members)
Best regards/Best wishes/Kindest regards/Warmest regards(Friends)
(Not a teacher)

Dear friends,

Hi, monro! Welcome to the forums! :up:

The fact that you have concerns regarding your colleague's use of 'always yours' indicates to me that you have a hunch that his/her interests may be more than professional. When replying to your colleague's business correspondence I suggest you use the expression 'sincerely' in your complimentary closing. Your colleague will quickly understand that you mean 'business' and not 'personal' in your relationship at work. :)

Cheers,
Amigo

I wouldn't read too much into an email ending. They are essentially informal communications and there are no adamantine rules for greetings or endings.

I wouldn't read too much into an email ending. They are essentially informal communications and there are no adamantine rules for greetings or endings.

I think you are right for the general e-mail writers. But in my case I have a very precise and even a meticulous type of person on the other side.

Hi, monro! Welcome to the forums! :up:

The fact that you have concerns regarding your colleague's use of 'always yours' indicates to me that you have a hunch that his/her interests may be more than professional. When replying to your colleague's business correspondence I suggest you use the expression 'sincerely' in your complimentary closing. Your colleague will quickly understand that you mean 'business' and not 'personal' in your relationship at work. :)

Cheers,
Amigo

So, I am right then that you would not say "Always yours" to a colleague. I was a little confused, becaused this was the first time he ended his letter like this, instead of with "Best regards".

So, I am right then that you would not say "Always yours" to a colleague. I was a little confused, becaused this was the first time he ended his letter like this, instead of with "Best regards".
Did you mean it carries a flirting implication by 'Always ever"?:-?

Yes, sort of. But I was not sure, that is why I decided to ask these, who may know. I am not that good in English.:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back