Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

The weather was good today and it had rained for many days. I said to my friend "Let's cash in on the fine weather and go out for the day". I wanted to express the idea "the weather is good and let's go out to have fun".

Is the italic sentence natural?

Hi.

The weather was good today [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] after it had rained for many days. I said to my friend "Let's cash in on the fine weather and go out for the day". I wanted to express the idea "the weather is good [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] so let's go out to have fun".

Is the italic sentence natural?

It's OK but native speakers don't usually use "fine weather". We use "good weather". I associate "fine weather" with TV/radio weather forecasts.
"Cash in" isn't wrong as long as you're using it metaphorically. You're not actually going to make any money from going out for the day.
I'd say "Let's make the most of the good/lovely weather and go out for the day".

I agree with Teechar about fine weather, and with emsr2d2 about making the most being better than cashing in.

I agree with Teechar about fine weather, and with emsr2d2 about making the most being better than cashing in.

Fair enough. I just don't think I've ever uttered "fine weather" in my life. I would feel as if I were in a Jane Austen novel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back