Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I just read somewhere that the word lest is literary. Does that mean it is not suitable for the kind of stories I write? I have used it a few times. Should I go back and change it? For example, in the sentence below...

He opened the old, worn letter, slowly and carefully, lest he tear it.

Given that you use the adjective worn to describe a letter, I am not so against your use of lest.

Given that you use the adjective worn to describe a letter, I am not so against your use of lest.
Is worn old-fashioned too?

The "slowly and carefully" part strongly implies that the person wants to avoid tearing the letter. Also, I might use a different sentence to say it was old and fragile.

The "slowly and carefully" part strongly implies that the person wants to avoid tearing the letter. Also, I might use a different sentence to say it was old and fragile.
Thanks, but I'm still wondering: Is worn literary/old-fashioned?

I don't think so. But it seems that Tdol has a different opinion.

I think that a worn shoe is not literary, but we rarely re-read letters so much nowadays that they get worn, so it seems a bit old-fashioned. I'm middle aged and cannot remember the last time I sent a letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back