Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
A: I made a big mistake yesterday.
B: lesson learned.

Here in the dialogue. Is the expression of lesson learned a noun phrase, lesson (which was) learned or a short version of a lesson was learned?

What do you think? Thank you as usual.

Last edited:
As always, we need the source and author of the quoted dialogue.

Last edited:
A: I made a big mistake yesterday.
B: Lesson learned.

Here In the that dialogue, is the expression of lesson learned a noun phrase, does it mean lesson (which was) learned or is it a short version of a lesson was learned?

What do you think?

Thank you as usual. As usual, don't thank us in advance. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.
While we're waiting for you to provide the source information, please note my corrections and comments above.

A: I trusted him.
B: You are too naive.
A: Lesson learned.
B: Be wise in who you trust.

It is a dialogue from a textbook and it explains that here lesson learned means I learned my lesson.
What do you think?

I agree in that context "lesson learned" means "I learned a lesson from that experience". Moreover, "lesson learned" is a stock phrase, in other words a very common saying.

I agree in that context "lesson learned" means "I learned a lesson from that experience". Moreover, "lesson learned" is a stock phrase, in other words a very common saying.
I have seen the saying, In every mistake, there is a lesson learned.
Here in the saying, a lesson learned does not mean I learned a lesson and it means a lesson (that is) learned, right?
And is there no case when we can see lesson learned as lesson is learned like Point taken (=Point is taken)

Last edited:
Given the context there is no difference in meaning between "Lesson learned" and "I learned a lesson". They are just two ways of saying the same thing.

Given the context there is no difference in meaning between "Lesson learned" and "I learned a lesson". They are just two ways of saying the same thing.
Do you mean "Lesson is learned" and "I learned a lesson", right? Thank you so much.

Here in the saying, a lesson learned does not mean I learned a lesson and it means a lesson (that is) learned, right?

Right.

And is there no case when we can see lesson learned as lesson is learned like Point taken (=Point is taken)

The phrase 'Point taken' is a shorter way of saying 'I take your point'. It's a way to say you accept what another person has said.

Is that a Korean expression?

I would say "Lesson learned" is short for "I learned the appropriate lesson".

Point taken - I get it; I get your point

@Hansman You're very lucky that several members seems to have missed the "Waiting for source information" tag on your thread. In post #2, Rover clearly told you that we need the source and author. This ...
It is a dialogue from a textbook
... is not an acceptable answer. Please give us the title of the book and the name(s) of the author(s).

All members - please refrain from providing any more answers until we have the legally required information. Thank you.

I'm locking the thread to avoid this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back