Home Country
India
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
please correct this letter and help me

To
The Principal
Sub: Half Day leave
I am Mrs……………., Senior Librarian would like to request half day leave on 22/02/17 as my daughter is not well and have to take her to hospital.
Ms. ………., Junior librarian will take charge of the duties in my absence.
Looking forward for your kind approval.

Yours Sincerely,

Last edited by a moderator:
Please correct this letter​. [STRIKE]and help me[/STRIKE]

To: The Principal

Sub: Request for [STRIKE]Halfday[/STRIKE] leave

I [STRIKE]am Mrs……………., Senior Librarian[/STRIKE] would like to request half a day's leave on 22/02/17 as [STRIKE]my daughter is not well and[/STRIKE] I have to take [STRIKE]her[/STRIKE] my daughter to hospital.

Ms. ………., Junior Librarian, will take charge of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] my duties in my absence.

[STRIKE]Looking forward for your kind approval.[/STRIKE]I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours [STRIKE]Sincerely,[/STRIKE]

Your Name
Senior Librarian

See my suggested changes above. You probably need to tell the principal whether you need the morning or the afternoon off.

With regard to the greeting and closing of letters, we use "Dear Sir/Madam" with "Yours faithfully", we use "Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss + surname" with "Yours sincerely". The top of your letter was laid out more like a memo, using "To: " so I closed it with just "Yours". If you consider this to be a formal letter, I suggest you address it to "Dear [name of principal]" - I assume you know his/her name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back