Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"These experiments are a tour de force," Renaud Parentani, a theoretical physicist at Laboratoire de Physique Théorique of Paris-Sud University, told Live Science. Parentani also studies analog black holes but from a theoretical angle; he was not involved in the new study. "It's a very precise experiment. From the experimental side, Jeff [Steinhauer] is really, at the moment, the world-leading expert of using cold atoms to probe black hole physics."

Source: Live Science

Supposed that you are standing on the podium and readling aloud to your students the passage above and you don't know French, what would you say to your student when you reach the part "Laboratoire de Physique Théorique of Paris-Sud University"?

One senario that I would do if I am the teacher: Sorry, I don't know how to pronounce the French, but it means "Laboratory of Theoretical Physics of Paris-Sud University". I am not sure whether it works in English speaking countries.

If you've had sight of the text before being on the podium, you would either use the sound facility on Google Translate (or similar) to find out how to say it and practise it a few times, or find the English translation and use that instead.
If you've never seen the presentation before and you're taken by surprise on the stage, just wing it!!

@GoodTaste your idea works fine in English-speaking countries. You could improve it slightly by replacing Paris-Sud University with University of Southern Paris. That would be more English, less French.

@GoodTaste your idea works fine in English-speaking countries. You could improve it slightly by replacing Paris-Sud University with University of Southern Paris. That would be more English, less French.
I agree. It is used here: "According to The Telegraph, the research involved experts from the University of Southern Brittany and the University of Southern Paris testing 87 female volunteers aged 18 to 20.".

You could say '(the) Laboratory for Theoretical Physics at the University of Southern Paris'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back