Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

Can I say "Knowing about something" or "Knowing of something"?

Which is correct? and why?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks.
Both "to know about" and "to know of" are correct.

Hi,

Thanks.

Both of them look like gerunds, and I would say that both convey the same meaning, but I am not a teacher. :-D

Why do not use knowing? why knowing is incorrect here?

I found that the BBC also uses "knowing about" in this link: BBC World Service | Learning English | Ask about English, (There are two things worth knowing about the use of the pronoun 'whom'.)
"Knowing" is correct, I didn't say it wasn't, I was simply pointing out that the verb "to know" in all it's forms, including "-ing", can be followed by both "about" and "of".

Thanks.

There is still has a related question in this post,

I found that the BBC also uses "knowing about" in this link

In above sentence, is "uses" correct? I just add -s to use because I think that BBC should use third person singular, but I am not sure of it.

Thanks.

There is still has a related question in this post,

I found that the BBC also uses "knowing about" in this link

In above sentence, is "uses" correct? I just add -s to use because I think that BBC should use third person singular, but I am not sure of it.
Yes, it's correct. In BrE singular or plural would be correct, it depends on whether you see the BBC as a unit or as a group of individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back