Knocked the Zorro mask right out of poor Ed Rosen's hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi folks,

Could anyone explain what Blanche means when she says, "Dorothy, I already called the repairman. Last night the damn ceiling caved in on my bedroom. Knocked the Zorro mask right out of poor Ed Rosen's hand"? This is from The Golden Girls Season 4, Episode 11. I don't get the connection between the Zorro mask and Ed Rosen's hand.

I googled the expression and found the following dialogue:
B: She walked in on me at the most inopportune time! Knocked the Zorro mask clean out of Ed Rosen's hand!
R: You think that's bad; she walked in on me just as I was reenacting the gang-plank scene from Peter Pan!
D: What the hell goes on at night in this house?!

So I think it's highly unlikely that Blanche was fooling around with a guy called Ed Rosen.

What is it about that dialogue that makes you think I am wrong? To me, it is clearly discussing bedroom shenanigans.

Reactions: 5jj
@SoothingDave is clearly correct, as a quick google of "Ed Rosen Zorro" will show. Sorry I can't post a link to the google reault right now.

I think the fact that somebody else uses almost the same expression suggests that the expression could mean something more than what it literally means.

The same person, Blanche, used the expression twice apparently.

Writers recycling a joke and hoping you don't notice.

And people sharing a joke on Twitter and other social media.

I don't agree with you, but I'd rather not dwell on this any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back