Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
We must not forget that extremism and radicalization cannot be countered through kinetic – read security – measures alone.
some one can define underlined words, and also can help me to locate the sources of interpretation of underlined words.

Please provide the source and author of your quote.

There are a lot of underlined words in your post. You need to edit your post so that only the words you're confused by are underlined. While you're editing, you need to change the actual question so that it starts with "Can someone" and ends with a question mark.

Please provide the source and author of your quote.

There are a lot of underlined words in your post. You need to edit your post so that only the words you're confused by are underlined. While you're editing, you need to change the actual question so that it starts with "Can someone" and ends with a question mark.
We must not forget that extremism and radicalization cannot be countered through "kinetic – read security – measures alone"

You have not provided the source and author of the quote.

We must not forget that extremism and radicalization cannot be countered through "kinetic – read security – measures alone"

It means just what I thought it meant from the beginning. For some reason they use kinetic to mean security (which is explained in the sentence itself. In other words, security measures are not enough. More is needed.

I normally see the added note "read security" to qualify a preceding word in brackets rather than set off with dashes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_military_action

It's military jargon.

They're saying you can't fight extremism only by killing extremists.

We must not forget that extremism and radicalization cannot be countered through "kinetic – read security – measures alone". I thik in this sentence the words "kinetic" and "read" are not useful in structure of sentence. We can write this above sentence in this form also"We must not forget that extremism and radicalization cannot be countered through " security measures alone".?

Last edited by a moderator:
We must not forget that extremism and radicalization cannot be countered through "kinetic – read security – measures alone". I think in this sentence the words "kinetic" and "read" are not useful in the structure of the sentence. We can write this above sentence in this form also"We must not forget that extremism and radicalization cannot be countered through " security measures alone".?

I guess you didn't like my answer.
:-|

Anyhow, you overdid it with the underlining.

You need to work on your punctuation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back