Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
How about "kin" ?Is it widely used? Kin plural or singular?

How about "kin" ?Is it widely used? Kin plural or singular?
It's not widely used, at least not in BrE. It can be plural or singular, "My sister is the only kin I have", "My brothers and sisters are the only kin I have".

It's not widely used, at least not in BrE. It can be plural or singular, "My sister is the only kin I have", "My brothers and sisters are the only kin I have".

I've looked it up in both Merriam-Webster and Longman. M-B says kinsfolk,whereas Longman suggests kinfolk without "s". Any difference?

I've looked it up in both Merriam-Webster and Longman. M-B says kinsfolk,whereas Longman suggests kinfolk without "s". Any difference?
Both "kinfolk" and "kinsfolk" are AmE so you'd need an American response.

It certainly defies logic, doesn't it?

I have Southern roots, so I say "kin" without the folk, e.g., I had kin in New Orleans when Katrina hit, but thankfully they got out before it got bad. (Oddly, I use it for my Southern relatives, but I'd say "relatives" for the ones in New England.)

However, I would stay "kinfolk" without the S, yet kinsman, with the S. I'm far more likely to say "kin" than either of these though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back