Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello there! What's the meaning of this sentence? They weren't keeping up with that facade anymore. I know the meaning of 'keeping up appearances' but I'm not sure if "keeping up with that facade" means the same! Please direct me.

Where did you find it? Do you know what 'facade' means?

Where did you find it? Do you know what 'facade' means?

I saw that here, "Far cry 4, Legends Never Die"
Ten minutes later, the fight ended and I walked up to the blue door and it opened up. Willis walked out talking to me, "25 years and I still can't figure out if that smell is bad sanitation or just the abject loss of hope." He says to me. "I don't smell anything." I said. He took of his hat and looked at it. "Weren't keeping up with that facade anymore." He says throwing down his hat and something else. "Ok, I'm guessing you have jobs for me, what are they?" He turns back to me. "Look at you, American on the inside and useful on the outside. You're the perfect wolf in sheepherders clothing."

Thanks for the context. You didn't answer my other question, though. Do you know what 'facade' means?

Thanks for the context. You didn't answer my other question, though. Do you know what 'facade' means?

You're welcome! Yes, I do. It means, a false, superficial, or artificial appearance or effect, also, the front of a building.

"Weren't keeping up with that facade anymore."
Did you supply the "they" at the start of that quote?
The more natural expression that comes to mind is "put up a facade", from which "keep up a facade" [meaning to maintain a false image/impression of something] would be possible; but note that neither has "with".

If you include "with", the phrase "keep up with" comes to mind. That means keeping pace with something.
Conclusion: the original is possibly bad English. Forget about it!

Did you supply the "they" at the start of that quote?
The more natural expression that comes to mind is "put up a facade", from which "keep up a facade" [meaning to maintain a false image/impression of something] would be possible; but note that neither has "with".

If you include "with", the phrase "keep up with" comes to mind. That means keeping pace with something.
Conclusion: the original is possibly bad English. Forget about it!

Yes I did. Because I thought that sentence was incorrect grammatically, so, I added 'they' at the beginning of the sentence. Sorry to bother you, would you mind writing the correct sentence in this part of the story and expressing its concept?

I saw [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] it here​: "Far ​Cry 4, Legends Never Die"

Ten minutes later, the fight ended and I walked up to the blue door and it opened up. Willis walked out, [STRIKE]talking[/STRIKE] saying to me, "It's been 25 years and I still can't figure out if that smell is bad sanitation or just the abject loss of hope." [STRIKE]He says to me.[/STRIKE] "I don't smell anything", I said. He took off his hat and looked at it. "Weren't keeping up with that facade anymore", he says, throwing down his hat and something else. "Ok, I'm guessing you have jobs for me. What are they?" He turns back to me. "Look at you, American on the inside and useful on the outside. You're the perfect wolf in sheepherders clothing."

I've made some other changes to it above, in red. However, I can't work out what "Weren't keeping up with that facade anymore" was supposed to mean even within that context.
The piece is poorly written - there's an odd mix of tenses and the punctuation is all over the place.

I've made some other changes to it above, in red. However, I can't work out what "Weren't keeping up with that facade anymore" was supposed to mean even within that context.
The piece is poorly written - there's an odd mix of tenses and the punctuation is all over the place.

You're right. I'll forget about it. Some contexts are confusing. Anyway, I appreciate you all taking the time and supporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back