keep somebody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Maybe it means "all sales final, no returns".

Yes, that's right.
But William is in the military. Shouldn't he be keeping Kate, in that case?
I thought it meant to feed him, support him, as in "Board and Keep".

That's the way I understand it. Like in the phrase "earn your keep."

But William is in the military. Shouldn't he be keeping Kate, in that case?
I thought it meant to feed him, support him, as in "Board and Keep".
15 [transitive] (formal) to protect somebody from somethingkeep somebody May the Lord bless you and keep you (= used in prayers in the Christian Church).keep somebody from something His only thought was to keep the boy from harm.
I think this definition, from sunsunmoon's link, is the right one. I think it's in this sense that it's used in the Anglican marriage service.

OK, we all think different things about 'keep'. Anyone have any evidence?

OK, we all think different things about 'keep'. Anyone have any evidence?

Wouldn't it make the most sense to interpret it in a way it's used in "the Christian Church" (see bhai's post above) since they married in an Anglican church and since this was a very formal occasion (so the formal meaning of the word would be suitable). Why would she use some other meaning such as "financially support" or "not return"?

Wouldn't it make the most sense to interpret it in a way it's used in "the Christian Church" (see bhai's post above) since they married in an Anglican church and since this was a very formal occasion (so the formal meaning of the word would be suitable). Why would she use some other meaning such as "financially support" or "not return"?
"I think it's in this sense that it's used in the Anglican marriage service" (bhai)
I've already conceded that bhai thinks it's used this way in the Anglican Church. I also note that others think it means something else. I will go further to say that, if it is used this way, then yes, it would make the most sense to interpret the example that way.

But we are still left with the original question. What does it mean in the Anglican Church? And given that we all think different things, does anyone have any evidence?

I'm not suggesting that the Princess used it in a novel way.

"I think it's in this sense that it's used in the Anglican marriage service" (bhai)
I've already conceded that bhai thinks it's used this way in the Anglican Church. I also note that others think it means something else. I will go further to say that, if it is used this way, then yes, it would make the most sense to interpret the example that way.

But we are still left with the original question. What does it mean in the Anglican Church? And given that we all think different things, does anyone have any evidence?

I'm not suggesting that the Princess used it in a novel way.

Bhai quoted from a dictionary which clearly states that keep is used in that sense in "Christian church". Click on OP's link and scroll down to 15.

Bhai quoted from a dictionary which clearly states that keep is used in that sense in "Christian church". Click on OP's link and scroll down to 15.
Oh, I see.

Will people think that I have a sick sense of humour if I go about telling people that I interpret it as "keep him away from other attractive women"?

:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back