K sound in sanction

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's there.

:up: Compare it with 'mansion' or 'scansion'. What you may often not hear is release of the closure (which isn't always made).

b

It's there.
I think it can't recognize it because the sound /ŋ/ has the same position as /k/ sound.
And, for example, there are two sounds that have the same position the one is put next the other like /gk/. How can I differentiate it from the case there is one sound?

Compare it with 'mansion' or 'scansion'. What you may often not hear is release of the closure (which isn't always made).
Could you explain the phrase "release of the closure"?
I can detect the k sound in
scansion. In mansion, I don't see the k sound!

Could you explain the phrase "release of the closure"?
I can detect the k sound in
scansion. In mansion, I don't see the k sound!
When a native speaker says 'can', there is quite an explosive release of breath with the /k/. There is hardly any 'explosion' with the /k/ of 'scan' and none with th /k/ of 'sanction'. That's just the way it is - we don't do these things consciously.

With 'mansion' and 'scansion', Bob was comparing the (absence) of /k/ between /n/ and /ʃ/ with the (presence of ) /k/ in 'sanction'.

When a native speaker says 'can', there is quite an explosive release of breath with the /k/. There is hardly any 'explosion' with the /k/ of 'scan' and none with th /k/ of 'sanction'.

The same thing happens with 'spin' and 'pin'. There is a small puff of air - aspiration - that accompanies the p in 'pin' but not in 'spin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back