Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Julia stepped out of her room in a graceful gown molded to her body. Leo somehow managed to keep his face straight. Her dress whispered her gorgeousness. She radiated sexuality like a waterfall spouted mist.
"Did I tell you about this dress Leo? I saw yesterday at the mall. It was begging me to buy it, so I did," she said, twirling in the gown.

People only have to try and keep their face straight when they're trying not to laugh. I don't get the impression that Leo found her dress funny.
Also, we say "try to keep a straight face".

People only have to try and keep their face straight when they're trying not to laugh. I don't get the impression that Leo found her dress funny.
Also, we say "try to keep a straight face".

Okay. What about this?

Julia stepped out of her room in a graceful gown molded to her body. Leo somehow managed to hide his being impressed. Her dress whispered her gorgeousness. She radiated sexuality like a waterfall spouted mist.
"Did I tell you about this dress Leo? I saw yesterday at the mall. It was begging me to buy it, so I did," she said, twirling in the gown.

"Did I tell you about this dress Leo? I saw
it yesterday at the mall. It was begging me to buy it, so I did," she said, twirling in the gown.
;-)

Leo somehow managed to hide his being impressed.
This sentence sounds awkward to me. I suggest something like: Leo somehow managed to hide his approval/surprise/amazement/favorable impression.

Thanks. Now, could someone please tell what I can put instead of the underlined parts? I want to know if they can be replaced:

Julia stepped out of her room in a graceful gown molded to her body. Leo somehow managed to hide his favorable impression. Her dress whispered her gorgeousness. She radiated sexuality like a waterfall spouted mist.
"Did I tell you about this dress Leo? I saw it yesterday at the mall. It was begging me to buy it, so I did," she said, twirling in the gown.

I would change part of it radically. She was showing off how good she looked in the new dress. She wanted to impress him. Why would he hide that he was indeed impressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back