Johnson Floats Voting on Senate Ukraine Bill, With Conservative Policies as Sweeteners

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Johnson Floats Voting on Senate Ukraine Bill, With Conservative Policies as Sweeteners

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/12/us/politics/johnson-senate-ukraine-aid.html

1. Would the sentence be grammatically correct if "Conservative Policies" were to be replaced by "them"?
2. Is it acceptable to move "as Sweeteners" before "Conservative"?
3. Could "With" be replaced with "together with"?

1. It would be grammatical, but meaningless.
1. Not to me.
3. No.

1. It would be grammatical, but meaningless.
1. Not to me.
3. No.

Johnson Floats Voting on Senate Ukraine Bill, With them as Sweeteners
("Them" refers to "Conservative Policies".)

Is it okay?

No, it's not OK. There is nothing that tells us what "them" means. The "conservative policies" are something different from the Ukraine funding.

There are Conservative Policies.

Now a reader can know what the antecedent of "them" is. Is it acceptable?

I think that "With" means "along with, together with".
What is the reason "With" could not be replaced with them?

"With" and "them" aren't even the same type of word. "With" is a preposition. "Them" is a pronoun. How could one replace the other?

I think that "With" means "along with, together with".
What is the reason "With" could not be replaced with "along with, together with"?

There are Conservative Policies.

Now a reader can know what the antecedent of "them" is. Is it acceptable?
You only reason you phrased it that way is so "them" could have an antecedent. It would not, I think, look natural as a real headline.

Last edited:
You only way you phrased it that way is so "them" could have an antecedent. It would not, I think, look natural as a real headline.

What is the construction of the bold part? I'm not sure about the meaning of it. Should "you only way" be "your only reason"?

Last edited:
What is the construction of the bold part? I'm not sure about the meaning of it. Should "you only way" be "your only reason"?
That is an obvious error. That post has been edited.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back