Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
A few days ago, someone called John told me that he has over 10 years' experience in marketing. Today, I talked to my friend, May" John claimed that he has over 10 years' experience in marketing.”

Is it correct to say “ John claimed that he has over 10 years' experience in marketing.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but change "years'" to "year's".

I'd wouldn't change years' to year's.

There is some skepticism inherent in saying he "claimed" a thing.

If you believe him or are neutral, it might be better to say John said he had over 10 years' experience. Claimed does sound as if you're not sure he is telling the truth.

If you believe him or are neutral, it might be better to say John said he had over 10 years' experience. Claimed does sound as if you're not sure he is telling the truth.

If John is still in the field of marketing, are there any difference between:

1. John claimed that
he has over 10 years' experience in marketing.
2. John claimed that he had over 10 years' experience in marketing

No. In one, you back-shift the reported speech. In the other, you don't.

Again, "claimed" sounds like you don't believe him.

No. In one, you back-shift the reported speech. In the other, you don't.

Again, "claimed" sounds like you don't believe him.

Is it more common to back-shift the reported speech in writing?

Very little of my writing includes reported speech. I really don't know.

Is it more common to back-shift the reported speech in writing?

It would be pretty hard to call here because he still works in the area. In speech, I'd guess that the present would be more common, but in writing it could depend on how long the person thought the text might be read- if it's a message, the present would work, but if it has to last years, then the past would probably be more common.

It would be pretty hard to call here because he still works in the area. In speech, I'd guess that the present would be more common, but in writing it could depend on how long the person thought the text might be read- if it's a message, the present would work, but if it has to last years, then the past would probably be more common.

Thanks, Tdol.

What does "but if it has to last years" mean?

If you want the text to work in ten years' time, you may want to backshift as the claim may no longer be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back