Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

John busied himself with his phone as the secretary made the call. She hung up. "You can go now, sir," she said waving her hand.

He entered her office suite which was bigger than his entire flat. It was empty. "In here," she shouted from a room in the corner. John took uncertain towards the door, knocking twice gently. "Come in," she yelled.

Opening the door, he found her on treadmill. A light sheen of sweat was trickling down on her arms and thighs. "My schedule is tight today. Let's get this over with. Who is the investor," she asked, swallowing water from a light green bottle.

I love the last paragraph. Very good.

I didn't quite know how to read John took uncertain towards the door. It's an odd phrasing. Did you mean it?

There are a couple of missing words I'm sure you'll catch if you proofread it properly. Remove on after trickling down.

I love the last paragraph. Very good.

I didn't quite know how to read John took uncertain towards the door. It's an odd phrasing. Did you mean it?

Thank you.

Can I say "he walked timidly" or "he walked reluctantly" towards the door?

Well, it depends what you mean, of course. Those two words are very different.

How exactly does he feel at that precise moment? Is he apprehensive about the meeting? Nervous? Curious?

Well, it depends what you mean, of course. Those two words are very different.

How exactly does he feel at that precise moment? Is he apprehensive about the meeting? Nervous? Curious?

He is both nervous and curious.

He is both nervous and curious.

So was it just chance that those were the exact two words I chose? I wanted to get you to think a bit more about what exactly you want to describe. Sometimes I get the impression your word choice is based on what you think sounds good rather than based on what you really mean. I think you could spend a little more time building up the picture in your mind before putting pen to page. Get a clear idea of what you mean and then select vocabulary from there.

Also, make sure you read your posts at least three times before you press 'send', to be sure you catch all the little mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back