John and Samantha [walk over]/[come up]/[come over]/[head over]/[go] to the window

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It started raining an hour ago. John and Samantha [walk over]/[come up]/[come over]/[head over]/[go] to the window now and see that it's still raining.

In the above text (I wrote it), can any one of the options be used, or are some of them unidiomatic?

It started raining an hour ago. John and Samantha walk over/come up/come over/head over/go to the window now and see that it's still raining.

In the above text (I wrote it), can any one of the options be used, or are some of them unidiomatic?
They're all possible (inasmuch as none of them is completely ungrammatical), though without "now".
I'm wondering, though, why you left out the most obvious choice:

... John and Samantha look out the window and see it's still raining.

Most people don't need to walk/go/come/head anywhere to see out the window. Most windows are visible from the whole room and rain is generally visible through the whole window.

Why did you use the past simple in the first sentence and the (historical?) present in the second one? What is the context, in what situation would anyone say that?

Why did you use the past simple in the first sentence and the (historical?) present in the second one?
I used the simple past in the first sentence because there are the words "an hour ago." I used the historical present in the second one because that's what's happening now, and that's what I want the reader to focus on. This is what I meant:

An hour has passed since it started raining. John and Samantha walk over to the window and see that it's still raining.
What is the context, in what situation would anyone say that?
The sentence in post #1 was provided as a context for my earlier thread. I've changed its structure a little bit in the present thread though.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back