Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The following is an essay on the topic of CAMs. I've been studying medicine with various books; this task comes from English for Nurses by McMillan Education.

Could you please check my writing?

How are CAMs viewed in your country?
What is your experience of CAM - either as a patient or as a nurse?

Complementary and alternative medicine is very popular in my country. The homeopathic preparation Oscillococcinum had a very successful commercial that made it look like an actual drug, chiropractors are so commonplace virtually everyone’s been to one at least once, and people even experiment with tribal ceremonies involving psychedelic substances led by shamans. My own experience with CAM, however, is not positive at all.

My co-worker, Jane, who is really crazy about alternative medicine, had always talked about how great “her new panaceum” is, so when I caught a flu, I decided to give it a shot. I bought a few packs of the preparations recommended by Jane, and hoped for great results. Unfortunately, after a week, my symptoms were only worse. The doctor said I had pneumonia and that if I had gone to a real doctor sooner, It would’ve been long over with modern antibiotics. Just after two days of taking the medicine prescribed by the doctor, I felt much better. I’m never trusting Jane again!

I think CAM is dangerous and brings more harm than good. It disguises itself as actual medicine and makes people commit to a treatment that can never work instead of seeking professional help to the detriment of their health. When I become a nurse, I will discourage my patients from trying CAMs and suggest they turn to real doctors.

Last edited:
The following is an essay on the topic of CAMs. I've been studying medicine with various books; this task comes from English for Nurses by McMillan Education.

Could you please check my writing?

How are CAMs viewed in your country?
What is your experience of CAM - either as a patient or as a nurse?

I've never heard the term CAM, and it's used both as a singular and plural above. Plural makes more sense because there are more than one of them.

Complementary and alternative medicines are very popular in my country. The homeopathic preparation Oscillococcinum had a very successful commercial that made it look like an actual drug. Chiropractors are so commonplace virtually everyone’s been to one at least once, and people even experiment with tribal ceremonies involving psychedelic substances led by shamans. My own experience with CAMs, however, is not positive at all.

My co-worker, Jane, who is really crazy about alternative medicine, had always talked about how great [STRIKE][/STRIKE]her "new panaceum” is, so when I caught a flu, I decided to give it a shot. I bought a few packs of the preparations recommended by Jane, and hoped for great results. Unfortunately, after a week, my symptoms were only worse. The doctor said I had pneumonia and that if I had gone to a real doctor sooner, It would’ve been long over with modern antibiotics. Just after two days of taking the medicine prescribed by the doctor, I felt much better. I’m never trusting Jane again!

I think CAMs are dangerous and bring[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] more harm than good. They are disguised as actual medicines, and [STRIKE]makes[/STRIKE] people must commit to [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] treatments that might never work instead of seeking professional help, to the detriment of their health. When I become a nurse, I will discourage my patients from trying CAMs and suggest they turn to real doctors.
I changed can to might because CAMs probably work sometimes. We have a saying in English: Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

The instruction got me confused, too. I too think plural makes more sense. Do you think it might have been a mistake in print?

The homeopathic preparation Oscillococcinum had a very successful commercial

Commercial what? Trial?

I would say:

My own experience with CAM was not positive at all.

Although I would probably say it was not good.

Last edited:
I understood it exactly as you meant it. For future reference, in BrE, it would be "[name of company] had a very successful advert" or "[name of company] ran a very successful advertising campaign".

Note, though, that you should have used the name of the company, not the product. If you want to use the name of the product, you need to rearrange the sentence to something like this:

There was a very successful advertising campaign/advert for [name of product] ...

Wait... so products don't have commercials, only companies?

If I want to praise a commercial promoting Doritos, produced by Frito-Lay, which of the below is/are right?

A) I love this Doritos commercial.
B) I love this Doritos' commercial.
C) I love this commercial for Doritos.
D) I love this Frito-Lay commercial.
E) I love this Frito-Lay's commercial.
F) I love this Frito-Lay commercial for Doritos.
G) I love this Frito-Lay's commercial for Doritos.

I'm asking about both proper English, and casual, everyday speech.

Last edited:
Wait... so products don't have commercials, only companies. Is that right?

If I want to praise a commercial promoting Doritos, produced by Frito-Lay, which of the below is/are right?

A) I love this Doritos commercial. :tick:
B) I love this Doritos' commercial. :cross:
C) I love this commercial for Doritos. :tick:
D) I love this Frito-Lay commercial. If it's specifically an advert for Doritos, then :cross:
E) I love this Frito-Lay's commercial. Same comment as above.
F) I love this Frito-Lay commercial for Doritos. Possible but very unlikely.
G) I love this Frito-Lay's commercial for Doritos. :cross:

I'm asking about both proper English, and casual, everyday speech.

No, I didn't say that there aren't adverts for companies, only products. That's clearly not the case. However, it's usually clear which one the advert is for. There are, for example, adverts for the iPhone (we would call that "an iPhone ad" not "an Apple ad") but there are also adverts for Apple (that would be "an Apple ad").

A commercial. Noun. An advertisement broadcast on television. This thing.

Does it look like an adjective in my text?

It would put it beyond doubt if you said it was successfully marketed to make it look like an actual drug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back