3) You owe $10 o our hospital.

4) You owe our hospital $10.

Please check m sentences.

1) Jane owes $10 to doctor James.

2) Jane owes doctor James $10.

3) You owe $10 o our hospital.

Please check m sentences.

There are letters missing again, tufguy. You're not concentrating. Please edit your post. Is "James" the doctor's first name or surname?

You need a capital D for Doctor. We usually write it like this: Dr. James

... or more frequently these days: Dr James.
That's the UK standard.

In the US, we don't omit the period: Mr. Smith, Dr. James, Ms. Johnson, Rev. Jackson

There are letters missing again, tufguy. You're not concentrating. Please edit your post. Is "James" the doctor's first name or surname?

1) Jane owes $10 to Doctor James.

2) Jane owes Doctor James $10.

3) You owe $10 to our hospital.

Please check my sentences.

James is his first name.

We do not refer to doctors by their first name. Change "James" to his surname each time, and all four sentences will be grammatically correct. As always, whether they're natural or not, depends on the context.

We don't generally use titles like Mr., Ms., Mrs., Miss, Dr., Prof., Rev., Sen., Rep., President, etc. with first names.

There are exceptions. Some celebrities buck the trend, like Dr. Phil. In the US South, it's common to hear women affectionately referred to as Miss [first name], as in the movie Driving Miss Daisy. Using Mr. with a first name may come off as condescending or comical, as in the clownish character Mr. Bill.

So be careful: using the first name with a title changes its effect, and may result in inappropriate informality.

That's the UK standard.

In the US, we don't omit the period: Mr. Smith, Dr. James, Ms. Johnson, Rev. Jackson

The rule in the UK when I was at school was to omit the period if the abbreviation ended with the last letter of the word, so Dr but Rev.

We do not refer to doctors by their first name.

In Australia, we often refer to doctors (or anyone) by their first names - especially in a general practice. And they don't always come with 'Doctor', even when appropriate. I think it's meant to be a nod to egalitarianism.
I remember an incident about 30 years ago when I was working in a very liberal maternity hospital:

Nurse (recently arrived from UK): Mrs. Smith isn't progressing well. What's the plan?
Nurse 2: Do you mean Jenny? Raymot is calling Phillip.
UK Nurse: And who is Phillip?
Nurse 2: He's the consultant obstetrician on call.
UK Nurse can't handle the culture shock - resigns two weeks later.

I can't pretend I liked it much either.

Last edited:
I think we are using first names too much in situations like that. I prefer to use a title with doctors.

I don't really mind which I use but I wouldn't use "Dr + first name". They're either "Doctor Morris" or "John".

I don't really mind which I use but I wouldn't use "Dr + first name". They're either "Doctor Morris" or "John".
Once, I spent a year in an outback hospital working with my brother (also a doctor) and one other doctor - just the three of us. We were Dr. Ray, Dr. Ian (my brother) and, probably by extension, Dr. Phil. It would have been confusing if everyone called both my brother and me Dr. Surname. I must say that I preferred Dr. Ray to simply Ray from patients and most nursing staff. I also know of several other pairs of brothers working in general practice using Dr. Firstname. Really, it's not at all rare here. And there are worse things your patients could call you!

PS: Dr. Phil McGraw on American TV is Dr. Phil. Judy Scheindlin is Judge Judy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That certainly works when there are multiple Dr Motts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back