Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Does Jaded the past tense of Jade? Does Jade have bad meanings like Jaded? Thanks

Does Is "jaded" the past tense of "jade"? Does "jade" have bad meanings like "jaded"? Thanks.
In most usage in BrE, "jaded" is used as an adjective but it is also, in the right context, a past participle of "to jade".

I don't know what you mean by "bad meanings".

There is no verb from which "jaded" is derived.
The Merriam-Webster link provided clearly shows that it's a verb!

I don't know what you mean by "bad meanings".
The bad meanings I referring is the the definition of jaded e.g. exhausted, fatigued, dull, tired...

Definition of jaded
1: fatigued by overwork : EXHAUSTED
a jaded horse
2: made dull, apathetic, or cynical by experience or by having or seeing too much of something
jaded network viewers
jaded voters

Synonyms & Antonyms for jaded

Synonyms

all in, aweary [archaic], beat, beaten, bleary, burned-out (or burnt-out), bushed, dead, done, drained, exhausted, fatigued, knackered [British], limp, logy (also loggy), played out, pooped [slang], prostrate, spent, tapped out, tired, tuckered (out), washed-out, wearied, weary, wiped out, worn, worn-out

Antonyms

unwearied

source https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jaded

Does Jade have bad meanings like Jaded?
A better way to ask this would be Does jade have negative connotations like the verb 'jaded'?

I think the verb form is rarely used - as emsr already mentioned, the adjective form is the most commonly used. I don't know that I've ever encountered it as a verb, but yes, the past tense would carry the same negative connotations as the present tense.

I probably shouldn't say 'never', but I can't think of an example for any verb where simply changing the tense changes the connotations or core sense of the verb.

One a side note - the worn/useless horse and loose/flirty woman noun definitions were completely new to me. Interestingly enough, the dictionary suggests that the worn/useless horse definition probably lead to the verb definition (and by extension through past participles) to the most widely used form of the adjective.

I'm not so sure we get the adjective from the verb form anyway in this case. It may actually be the reverse. The dictionary gives a first known use date of 1615 for the verb, but 1600 for the adjective form.

For some reason, I tend to think of participial adjectives coming from the verb, but maybe the reverse is sometimes true. :unsure:

@goodstudent I guess by "bad meanings" you mean those usages considered negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back