[Grammar] Jack told me that someone called me around ten-thirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Good evening teachers!. I think the first sentence is right and the second is wrong. As there is a specific time in the past. Could you please check them?. Thanks in advance.

1) Jack told me that someone called me around ten-thirty. (correct)
2) Jack told me that someone had called me around ten-thirty. (incorrect)

Last edited:
They are both acceptable.

... As there is a specific time in the past.

I believe you are thinking of the present perfect (someone has called), which does not refer to a specific time.
The second sentence is the past perfect, which can be used with a specific time.

I believe you are thinking of the present perfect (someone has called), which does not refer to a specific time.
The second sentence is the past perfect, which can be used with a specific time.

Do you mean the sentences 2B and 2C are the same in the meaning? And could you please explain to me the meaning of the 2C situation?

1) Jack told me that someone called me around ten-thirty. (No change in the simple past with a specific time)
2A) Jack told me that someone had called me around ten-thirty. (the simple past is changed to the past perfect)
2B) Jack told me that someone had called me. (the present perfect is changed into the past perfect)
2C) Jack told me that someone had called me around ten-thirty. (the present perfect is changed into the past perfect?)

2A and 2C seem to be the same sentence. Did you mean for 2C to be "has called me"?

2A and 2C seem to be the same sentence. Did you mean for 2C to be "has called me"?

Yes. "has called me" comes from the direct sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back