Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In No Roots, Alice Metron Sings "I've got not roots, but my home was never on the ground".

I know songwriting and poetry are guided by their own rules, but it doesn't make much sense anyway.

The conjunction but is meant to show contrast. If she did have roots, you'd expect her to be on the ground, but since she doesn't have roots, you expect her not to be on the ground. The second part doesn't contrast with the first one. I'd much rather prefer and instead of but.

Even if we consider the acoustic quality of the word but, which might have been a reason for choosing it over and, they're both one-syllable words that end in an alveolar consonant.

Am I missing something here? Do you possibly have any guesses why she decided to use but here?

It makes perfect sense. Read it as but then.

I've got no roots, but then my home was never on the ground (so it's hardly surprising).

I'm dumb...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back