I've earned a few weeks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't necessarily mean overtime. The first half of the sentence is the salient part - "it's been a tough six months" - all we know is that. The person might not have worked overtime. It might just be that his/her normal working hours were particularly difficult.

The original sentence does not say a few days off. It says a few weeks off. In my experience, a few weeks would be very excessive.

The original sentence does not say a few days off. It says a few weeks off. In my experience, a few weeks would be very excessive.

It's quite normal in the UK, and other European countries, to take two or three weeks holiday.

In my previous job, I was entitled to 6 weeks' paid holiday, plus 11 extra days off a year for public holidays.

Yes, I understand that. The same is true in the US. But in this case, it sounds as if this was extra time off for working hard.

"The same is true in the US"? Six weeks is hardly the norm.

Perhaps the person is burned out. After six months of 80-hour weeks, they want to take a few weeks off to recharge their batteries.

Barb: No, I was replying to 2-3 weeks off.

Barb: No, I was replying to 2-3 weeks off.

Given how regularly the posts can be added to a thread, it's easy for the thread to get confused, so it really helps to include the quote that you're referring to.

I haven't figured out how to do that yet. :oops:

Instead of hitting the big blue "Reply to Thread" button, look in the bottom right-hand corner of the post you want to quote and you will see "Reply with quote". Hit that instead.

Instead of hitting the big blue "Reply to Thread" button, look in the bottom right-hand corner of the post you want to quote and you will see "Reply with quote". Hit that instead.

Aha!

Reply with Quote - lower right of the post you want to reply to.

By George, I think he's got it. ;-)

Didn't see that the thread had a second page. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back