I've been residing/living in London for many years.

shatilof

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If I was born say in London, can I say I've been residing in London for many years or this verb is more appropriate in the context when I was born somewhere else and just came to London for living, working etc.?

Thank you in advance.

Both mean the same, i.e. to have one's home in a particular place. I find "reside" slightly more formal.

If I was born, say, in London, can I say I've been residing in London for many years or is this verb "reside" is more appropriate in the context when to express that I was born somewhere else and just came to London for living, working to live/work etc.?
Neither "living" nor "residing" make it clear that you've been there since you were born. To do that, you'd say "I've lived in London all my life". If you were born elsewhere and wanted to make that clear, say something like "I moved to London many years ago [and have lived here ever since]".
Thank you in advance. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.

Both mean the same, i.e. to have one's home in a particular place. I find "reside" slightly more formal.
As a native speaker I would say that "residing" is rather old fashioned and could sound pompous in conversation.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back