Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I found a soothsayer online recently and I want to spend 1,000 yuan to predict my future. I've been thinking about this for a while because it's 1,000 yuan. I looked at her service and I think it's good.

I fell into an unlucky cycle of destiny for many years and I'm 37 but still not married. I want to ask the soothsayer many things about my life. The future, job, girlfriend, everything. I wrote the following sentence:

I've been pondering over using 1,000 yuan to employ a soothsayer for deciphering my life.

Would native speakers of English express the italic sentence like I did?

No. Perhaps:

I've been thinking about spending 1000 yuan to have a soothsayer (fortune teller) predict my future.

I don't think "ponder" is used much nowadays except for the famous poem by Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven".

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a soothsayer online recently and I want to spend 1,000 yuan to predict my future. I've been thinking about this for a while because it's 1,000 yuan of the cost. I looked at her service and I think it's good.

I fell into an unlucky cycle of destiny for many years and now I'm 37 but still not married. I want to ask the soothsayer her many things about my life - the future, job, girlfriend, everything. I wrote the following sentence:

I've been pondering over using 1,000 yuan to employ a soothsayer for deciphering to help me understand/predict my life.

Would native speakers of English express the italic sentence like I did?
Note my changes above.

We don't "ponder over" anything. We "ponder something". I'd probably say "I'm thinking about/considering paying a soothsayer 1,000 yuan ...".

'Pondering' is the wrong word. It's not used in the sense of coming to make a decision.

Use 'thinking about', 'considering' or possibly 'deliberating over' instead.

I don't think that dictionary entry is very good (since it disagrees with me!) The example about pondering what clothes to wear is no good, in my opinion.

If you ponder something, you think about it in the sense of reaching a conclusion about it, yes, but not in the sense of making a decision for action.

I don't think that dictionary entry is very good (since it disagrees with me!) The example about pondering what clothes to wear is no good, in my opinion.

If you ponder something, you think about it in the sense of reaching a conclusion about it, yes, but not in the sense of making a decision for action.
We'll have to agree to disagree (again) then!

I'm pondering going to Helen's party on Sunday. (I haven't yet decided whether to go so I'm thinking about and will eventually make a decision.)
She's pondering looking for a new job. (She might decide to look for a new job but hasn't made the decision yet.)

Yes, of course. No problem. :)

By the way, here's ChatGPT's response to the command "Give me ten sentences exemplifying the sense of the verb 'ponder'":

1. As the sun set over the horizon, she sat by the window, pondering the meaning of life.
  2. Lost in thought, he pondered the implications of his decision.
  3. With furrowed brows, she pondered the riddle presented to her.
  4. Sitting in silence, he pondered over the vastness of the universe.
  5. As he sipped his coffee, he pondered how to approach the problem.
  6. In the quiet of the library, she pondered the words of the ancient philosopher.
  7. During his morning walk, he often pondered the mysteries of existence.
  8. With a book in hand, she pondered the complexities of human nature.
  9. He spent hours in his study, pondering the future of his company.
  10. As the rain fell gently outside, she sat by the fireplace, pondering her next move.

I'm not crazy about the use of the preposition over in 4. I think only 10 has a possible sense of reaching a decision for action.

Last edited:

I'm pondering going to Helen's party on Sunday. (I haven't yet decided whether to go so I'm thinking about and will eventually make a decision.)
She's pondering looking for a new job. (She might decide to look for a new job but hasn't made the decision yet.)
That's more than I've used "ponder" in at least a decade. 😊 (That word is not in my active vocabulary.)

The thing that's surprised me the most while looking at the various definitions and usages of "ponder" is that I can't find it listed anywhere as a noun! That's how it's used most among my family and friends.

Jason: Do you fancy going to the Kaiser Chiefs gig in September?
Me: Hmm. I'm not sure I can afford it. Can I have a little ponder and get back to you?
Jason: Of course! Just let me know by the weekend so I can book tickets before it sells out.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back