It's quite strange that the man sleeps with his mouth closed and his eyes open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"It's quite strange that the man sleeps with his mouth CLOSED and his eyes OPEN."

I came across the sentence on the internet which didn't make sense. I din't understand why they used " closed" as a past participle and "open" as an bare infinitive. Could someone tell me what functions they are in the sentence and please explain it to me. Thank in advance.:-D

What, in your opinion, is the opposite of "open"?

Are you aware that "closed" and "open" can function as something other than forms of a verb?

Are you aware that "closed" and "open" can function as something other than forms of a verb?

Do you mean they are adjectives in the context?

Yes, they are adjectives to describe the state of the mouth.

Yes, "closed" is an adjective describing the mouth and "open" is an adjective describing the eyes.

Thank a lot.

Thanks a lot.

Note my correction above. However, also please note that there is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you" to anyone. Simply click on the "Thank" button which appears in the bottom left-hand corner of all posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back