It's fifteen past

Status
Not open for further replies.
It either means "fifteen minutes past an hour" or "fifteen minutes past a specific time when something was to happen". We can't say from that clip if your student's correct or if you are.

I just watched this scene. Yes, she says It's fifteen past, referring to the time. Just before she says this, she looks concernedly at her watch. They're anxiously waiting for someone to show up. The next line, from the man, is Yeah, I know. Just give him time.

I just watched this scene. Yes, she says It's fifteen past, referring to the time. Just before she says this, she looks concernedly at her watch. They're anxiously waiting for someone to show up. The next line, from the man, is Yeah, I know. Just give him time.
So we can interpret it as 'It's fifteen minutes past <the time someone was supposed to show up>'?

No, it means fifteen minutes past one or two or three (etc.) o'clock.

So we can interpret it as 'It's fifteen minutes past <the time someone was supposed to show up>'?
Unlike jutrank, I think it could be.

I should have said yes. It means both fifteen minutes past the hour and fifteen minutes past the time that Mrs Holland was supposed to show up, which is mentioned in a scene in the previous episode (!) as 9 o'clock in the morning.

Edit: I don't know why Jonathan seems to say Give him time if he's referring to Mrs Holland. Maybe I've got something wrong. Is there anyone here who's actually watched this series and can clear up what's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back