[General] It's called Paradise walk..(57 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A friend of mine in Australia texted me saying that he had read an article about the recently-opened shopping mall in my neighborhood and the following is my reply:

The mall is called Paradise Walk and it looks magnificent and grandiose. I live nearby and I've seen seas of people visiting the mall these days. I remember a decade ago the place was a just deserted railway station. At that time, everything here was waiting to be rebuilt but now it's become a multifunctional transportation hub.

Would you please help me to correct the above italic sentences. The Paradise Walk is above the railway station. These two places are at upper and lower levels. Ten years ago when I came back to Chongqing from Shenzhen, the railway station was a derelict and everything was to be built. Now it's a big and grandiose shopping mall and a huge multifunctional transpotation hub. I want to use "multifunctional" to mean that it's not only a railway station/bus station/high speed train station, but also a shopping mall.

A friend of mine in Australia texted me saying that he had read an article about the recently-opened shopping mall in my neighborhood, and the following is my reply:

The mall is called Paradise Walk, and it looks magnificent and grandiose. I live nearby and I've seen seas of people visiting the mall [STRIKE]these days[/STRIKE]. I remember a decade ago the place was a just deserted railway station. At that time, everything here was waiting to be rebuilt, but now it's become a multifunction[STRIKE]al[/STRIKE] transportation hub.

Would you please help me to correct the above italic sentences. The Paradise Walk is above the railway station. These two places are at upper and lower levels. Ten years ago, when I came back to Chongqing from Shenzhen, the railway station was [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] derelict and everything needed to be rebuilt. Now it's a big and grandiose shopping mall and a huge multifunction[STRIKE]al[/STRIKE] transportation hub. I want to use "multifunction[STRIKE]al[/STRIKE]" to mean that it's not only a railway station/bus station/high speed train station, but also a shopping mall.
Hi, Silver!

It's good.

Multifuntional
isn't wrong, but multifuction is shorter and tells us the same thing.

It's a bit redundant to say "big and grandiose" (It can't be grandiose if it's not big) and "magnificent and grandiose" is a little muddled because magnificent has a good connotation and grandiose often has a bad connotation. (It doesn't just mean grand, it also can mean pretentious or over-blown. For example, when the US president says he's a genius and maybe the best president ever, he's being grandiose.)

So you might want to work on those word choices.

Last edited:
How about my new try? I said this as a reply to Graeme in Australia.

Graeme: I have enjoyed reading about the new Jinsha Paradise Walk shopping centre above the Shapingba Railway Station. (Graeme is in Aus and read things online.)
Silver: The newly-opened mall looks magnificent and absolutely stunning. I live nearby and I've seen seas of people coming here these few days. A decade ago, this place was a just deserted railway station and everything was waiting to be rebuilt. But now it's become a multifunction transportation hub.

I added what my friend Graeme said to make it a full conversation.

Please help me again with my new italic version. I uploaded two pictures, please help me to find the best two adjectives here to describe the mall.
I added "these few days" because it's very likely that after the New Year's holiday, there will be fewer people coming here. It has many visitors because it's newly opened and it was opened soon before the New Year. People have time to come here.

??2.jpg
??1.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps:

A decade ago it was just a deserted railway station. But now it's a multifunctional transportation hub.

The newly opened mall looks magnificent and absolutely stunning. I live nearby and I've seen seas of people coming here these few days. A decade ago it was just a deserted railway station. But now it's a multifunctional transportation hub.

Is this one okay now?

I used "multifunctional" in my OP and CB changed it to "multifunction" and Tarheel changed it again to "multifunctional". Who should I listen to?

Both.

My underlining.

I appreciate your help, teechar.

I wonder if the following version is okay now.

The newly opened mall looks magnificent and absolutely stunning. I live nearby and I've seen seas of people coming here these few days. A decade ago it was just a deserted railway station. But now it's a multifunctional transportation hub.

No. Use "visiting the mall (these days), as in the original.

No. Use "visiting the mall (these days), as in the original.

The newly opened mall looks magnificent and absolutely stunning. I live nearby and I've seen seas of people visiting the mall these days. A decade ago it was just a deserted railway station. But now it's a multifunctional transportation hub.

Is this one okay now? I mean, is the rest of it okay now. Also, how about my two adjectives which I used to describe the mall?

I appreciate your help.

Yes, it's okay.

My phone suggested "multifunctional" and I had no argument with that.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back