Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I feel that the bold part of the following sentence is not complete. I really see no reason to use an ing form in this clause. what do you think?

The original:

The Sun will become a red giant star, its visible surface so far from its interior that the gravity at its surface grows feeble, its atmosphere expanding into space in a kind of stellar gale.

My version:

The Sun will become a red giant star, its visible surface so far from its interior that the gravity at its surface grows feeble, and its atmosphere expandsing into space in a kind of stellar gale.

Source: Cosmos

No. If you want to make that revision, you need "and its atmosphere will expand int space ...". The original all refers to the future.

No. If you want to make that revision, you need "and its atmosphere will expand int space ...". The original all refers to the future.

So why doesn't the text uses the future tense in this part [ its visible surface so far from its interior that the gravity at its surface grows feeble]?

Because the verb isn't necessary. It is connected to the first "The sun will become ...".

I agree that the shift from a predictive clause (will become) into a narrative present clause (grows feeble) is somewhat unusual, but it sounds fine to me.

I agree that the shift from a predictive clause (will become) into a narrative present clause (grows feeble) is somewhat unusual, but it sounds fine to me.

Doesn't my version sound fine to you?

Doesn't my version sound fine OK/good to you?
Here's a nugget of useful information for you. We use "fine" in declarative positive statements. We rarely use it in negative statements and we don't use it in the interrogative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back