It was very clean with big rooms, swimming pool and a tennis court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hay

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi there!
I was reading an email written by a non native English speaker and I came across the following :
" I stayed in a fancy hotel in London. It was very clean with big rooms, swimming pool and a tennis court."
My question is: Is the second sentence grammatically correct?
Thanks in advance

Hi there!
I was reading an email written by a non native English speaker and I came across the following :
" I stayed in a fancy hotel in London. It was very clean with big rooms, swimming pool and a tennis court."
I would expect to see an indefinite article (a), before "swimming pool". Otherwise, it's fine.

Hi there! Unnecessary. Just go ahead with your post.

I was reading an email written by a non-native English speaker and I came across the following:
"I
stayed in a fancy hotel in London. It was very clean with big rooms, a swimming pool and a tennis court."

Thanks in advance Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find helpful.
Please note my corrections and comments above.

I agree that technically the article's needed, but for some reason it sounds all right as it is to me.

I agree that technically the article's needed, but for some reason it sounds all right as it is to me.
It would be correct without the article only if the preceding noun was a singular noun with "a".

I see what you mean. You'd have had to drop the article before "tennis court" too in that case, ideally.

I see what you mean. You'd have had to drop the article before "tennis court" too in that case, ideally.
Yes, absolutely.

The hotel has a sauna, swimming pool and tennis court.

It's not incorrect without the article before swimming pool. The article isn't necessary before tennis court, either, but the fact that the former noun phrase doesn't use an article where the latter does is inconsistent. As a written sentence, there really ought to be a comma before with big rooms, and ideally one before and a tennis court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back