It was two seconds before I did it / before I would do it (I didn't do it)

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
Which should I use here, "before I pressed" or "before I would press"?
  • I'd been typing a message for a long time and it was two seconds before I pressed/would press "Send" when the light went off and now, an hour later, that the light is on I have to type the whole thing again!

What do you think "was about to" would also work there?
  • I'd been typing a message for a long time and it was two seconds <before I was going to press✅> <before I was about to press❓> "Send" when the light went off and now, an hour later, that the light is on I have to type the whole thing again!

I'd probably say was going to.
+ What do you think of "would have pressed"?
  • I'd been typing a message for a long time and it was two seconds before I would press I would have pressed "Send" when the light went off and now, an hour later, that the light is on I have to type the whole thing again!

• I'd been typing a message for a long time and it was two seconds before I would press I would have pressed "Send" when the light went off and now, an hour later, that the light is on I have to type the whole thing again!
It's not impossible.

Not for me. 'About two seconds before' makes that redundant.
What do you think of "I was to press" (without "about")?

Recently, I was watching a movie and my ears caught this line:
  • The day before you and I were to go away, I received word he was alive, in a hospital in Berlin. I had to go to him.
    (They did not go away — just as in my example sentence: "I" did not press "Send")

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back