[Grammar] It <was/has been> the most exciting experience of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Which form is correct:

One year ago I was in Africa. I saw many wild animals........ It was / has been the most exciting experience of my life.

I am not sure because:
"It was the most exciting experience of my life." - it seems correct to me bacause I describe a past event
"It has been the most exciting experience of my life." - it ALSO seems correct to me because it is still the most exciting experience of my life (till now)

I am confused :(

Thank you @Priscean I have one more question. If someone ask me: "Does anyone you know have an interesting hobby?"
One of my friends has taken up photography as a hobby [1]. He bought an expensive camera [2] and takes bird photos.

In [1] the present perfect because the result of that activity is seeing now (my friend takes bird photos)
In [2] the past simple because I describe details and it isn't importent now when he bought a camera

Am I right or not?

Thank you, so in #1 I should even use the past simple if it isn't the recent past, yes?

Thank you, so in #1 I should even use the past simple if it isn't the recent past, yes?
Yes, and it's required if you use a time marker. For example, the present perfect wouldn't work here: One of my friends took up photography as a hobby a couple of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back