[Vocabulary] It sells at three dollars a kilo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Does the sentence in the title sound grammatically correct? Are there other ways to say the same?

Does the sentence in the title sound grammatically correct? Are there other ways to say the same?

In AmE, for three dollars a kilo (or 0.45 pounds) would be more common.

It's fine and natural as it is.

You could say '... three dollars for a kilo' or '... three dollars per kilo'. I prefer the original.

It's fine and natural as it is.

You could say '... three dollars for a kilo' or '... three dollars per kilo'. I prefer the original.

In AmE, for three dollars a kilo (or 0.45 pounds) would be more common.
Thanks, and how should I say if I want to speak about the price of one of something - "per unit"/ "a unit"?
E.g. They sell lemons at (for) 50 pence per unit/a unit (per lemon/a lemon? :-?) :?:

Last edited:
not a teacher

I would say, "They sell lemons for 50 pence each".

Thanks, and how should I say if I want to speak about the price of one of something - "per unit"/ "a unit"?
E.g. They sell lemons at (for) 50 pence per unit/a unit (per lemon/a lemon? :-?) :?:

In AmE, either would be correct: 50 cents a lemon or 50 cents per lemon.

In AmE, either would be correct: 50 cents a lemon or 50 cents per lemon.

And if I don't want to repeat the word "lemon", do you have a word like "unit" or something of the like meaning "per one object"?
Per item?

not a teacher

I would say, "They sell lemons for 50 pence each".

Thank you, JMurray, that's useful information for me (simple as it's usually in English :) ), but this time I need to know if there is a word meaning "per one thing/item"?

And if I don't want to repeat the word "lemon", do you have a word like "unit" or something of the like meaning "per one object"?
Per item?
We could say 'per item', but we generally don't. We generally use 'each'.

Can I say Milk sells at 90 pence a pint? (Sorry, I don't know the real price of milk in your countries, could you tell me as I need a real-life example.)

Milk costs 50 pence a pint.

A pint of milk costs 50 pence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back