Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Please correct any mistakes in this writing.

It really gets me how people are being such overly empathetic for him. It's not like that he has been banned forever from cricket. After all he has done a punishable mistake and there is no way without accepting this. I would say, you had better not waste your time in thinking himself. He has earned so much money that his upcoming generations can't run out of his money by living like a prince but you need to work hard day and night just to earn your daily bread. There is a world of difference between "emotion" and "reality". Don't let your emotions make you behave like an intellectually bankrupt.

Please correct any mistakes in this writing.

It really gets me how people are being [STRIKE]such[/STRIKE] so overly empathetic [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to/towards him.

It's not like [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] he has been banned forever from cricket.

After all, he has [STRIKE]done[/STRIKE] made a punishable mistake and there is no way without accepting this. The underlined part doesn't make sense.

I would say (no comma here) you [STRIKE]had better[/STRIKE] should not waste your time [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] thinking [STRIKE]himself[/STRIKE] about him.

He has earned so much money that his [STRIKE]upcoming generations[/STRIKE] descendants [STRIKE]can't[/STRIKE] will never run out of [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] money, even by living like [STRIKE]a prince[/STRIKE] princes/princesses, [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] yet you need to work hard day and night just to earn your daily bread.

There is a world of difference between "emotion" and "reality". Don't let your emotions make you behave like an intellectually bankrupt person.

Note my corrections and comments above.

It really gets to me how people are being so overly empathetic towards him.

Should there be a to there?

Yes. It's entirely acceptable (in BrE at least) to say that something "gets to you". It means that it annoys/irks you. (It has other meanings too.)

The "to" is perfectly acceptable in AmE but very often omitted. I'm not sure which is more common here: to use it or to omit it.

I say no.

There's a subtle difference in use between the expression It (really) gets me and the structure to get to someone.

The former is more appropriate here.

Apologies - I misread tedmc's question and thought it said "Could there be a to there?" That's why I said "Yes". We use both "gets me" and "gets to me". Sometimes they're interchangeable and sometimes not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back