Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This is the answer to the question what is bothering me. Are the parts marked by asteriks correct? Do the other sentences sound idiomatic?

1.I was going to take a walk later, but it *looks that* I am too tired *for this*.
2.Maybe after I do some housework, I will do this. (Should I use the question mark?) and I wish I had more time to read or spend time with friends. 3.My best friend lives in another city. With some of my friends who live here *I have no common topics of conversation* except our neighbours. (I mean some people do talk about them).
4. I have another close friend here.
5.We have a lot of topics to discuss and common family problems.
6.We share our favourite books. They are different genres and colourful.
7. I can't afford to read books because of the lack of time and my tiredness.
Does "colourful" work if I mean they are with lots of illustrations?

This is the my answer to the question "What is bothering me?" Are the parts marked by asterisks correct? Do the other sentences sound idiomatic?

1. space here I was going to take a walk later, but it *looks that* I am too tired *for this*. ❌
2. space here Maybe after I do some housework, I will do this. ✅ (Should I use the question mark?) No. and I wish I had more time to read or spend time with friends.
3. space here My best friend lives in another city. With some of my friends who live here *I have no common topics of conversation* with my local friends, except some of our neighbours. (I mean some people do talk about them).
4. I have another close friend here. ✅
5. space here We have a lot of topics to discuss and common family problems. ❌
6. space here We share our favourite books. They are different genres and colourful. ❌
7. I can't afford to read books because of the lack of time and my tiredness. ❌

Does "colourful" work if I mean they are with lots of illustrations?
1. I was going to take a walk later but I'm too tired.
2. Note my markups. You used a full stop after "this" so you can't continue the sentence with "and".
3. I have nothing to talk about with/I have nothing in common with ...
I don't know what the underlined part means. "Them" appears to refer to your neighbours.
4. Good.
5. We have lots to talk about and we share the same problems with our families.
6. Our favourite books are from different genres and are full of illustrations/pictures.
7. I don't have time to read because I'm busy and always tired. (Saying "I can't afford to read books" means that you don't have enough money for them.)

No, "colourful" doesn't suggest illustrations or pictures. It simply suggest lots of different colours.

3. I have nothing to talk about with/I have nothing in common with ...
I don't know what the underlined part means. "Them" appears to refer to your neighbours.
I mean some friends like to gossip about their neighbours.

3. space here My best friend lives in another city. With some of my friends who live here *I have no common topics of conversation* with my local friends, except some of our neighbours.

Do you mean "I have no common topics of conversation" should be removed? Sorry, I didn't understand that.
Thank you so much for such detailed explanations.

I mean some friends like to gossip about their neighbours.
OK, but even though I thought that was what "them" referred to, the idea itself wasn't really clear. I thought you meant that you didn't have much to talk about with your local friends but you did have things to talk about with your neighbours!

I don't have much to talk about with my local friends, except when we gossip about our neighbours!
Do you mean "I have no common topics of conversation" should be removed? Sorry, I didn't understand that.
Yes, because that's not how we say it. I gave a natural version in my comments.

You could say 'looks like', but you'd need to change 'this' to 'that'.
Should "that" be removed after "look like?"
It looks like that I am too tired for that.

Should "that" be removed after "look like?"
It looks like that I am too tired for that.
No.

It looks like I'm too tired for that.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back