Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would like to know how I should say the following.
It is your choice.
= Id is your choice

Should I say "d" insteaf of "t" because the "t" is between two vowel sounds?

It depends on what you mean by "should". You will hear some native speakers say "Id" but that doesn't mean you have to emulate them. In a form or exam situation, I recommend sticking to pronouncing "it" as "it".
Are you confusing this with a recent thread on double consonants between vowels?

Yes, I am confused because the "t" is between two vowels "i" and "i."

Are you confusing this with a recent thread on double consonants between vowels?
No, he's confusing it with the flap that is used in AmE, in which [t] is pronounced as an alveolar flap [ɾ] and which lately has been described as being a [d].
I agree that students should say [t] until they are living in the US and pick it up naturally. In my experience, a 't' pronounced as a 'd' by a non-native, or non-experienced student just makes them harder to understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapping

In American English the t is reduced to a tongue flap that sounds like a d. As a learner you really don't have to try to reproduce this pronunciation, though knowing the pattern may help you understand speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back